As of September 22nd, summer officially ended and fall has arrived. The weather is beginning to change, leaves are falling, and colors are changing. When the weather changes so do we. The t-shirts turn into sweaters and the AC turns over to the Heater. Just like stocking your closet with sweaters to prepare for the fall, it’s important to prepare your HVAC system for the new season.
Preparation: Stay safe, comfortable, and save money this Fall
To prepare for the fall weather, the first thing you should do is schedule a maintenance visit. Your HVAC system should be inspected yearly to improve efficiency and comfort and fall is a great time to call a specialist. The HVAC specialist will come inspect your unit to make sure it is running efficiently and ready for the new season. If your unit is old, this may be the perfect time to replace it. Fall is a great time for replacement because the weather isn’t too hot or too cold just yet. This will decrease any discomfort during replacement.
- Keep the area around the unit clean of leaves, pollens, debris, and grass. Try to clear at least two feet around your unit to keep it running efficiently.
- Replace air filters (should be replaced every 90 days)
- Replace your carbon monoxide detector battery
- Start warming up your unit. When your unit sits unused for an extended period of time, it could take a little while for it to work perfectly. Running it once or twice a week can prepare it for the colder weather coming.
- Seal air leaks. Walk around your home. If you feel air coming through any windows or doors, cover them with caulk and weather stripping.