Skip to main content
HVACSafety

Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

By August 2, 2017No Comments

Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning is dangerous and can have serious side effects if left untreated. To keep you and your family safe, you need to know the most common causes, symptoms, and what to do if you think you have carbon monoxide poisoning.

CAUSES

Carbon monoxide expels from any appliance that burns fuel. The most familiar places in homes that emit carbon monoxide includes cars, fireplaces, charcoal grills, water heaters, ovens, and dryers. Carbon monoxide poisoning may happen if any of the following occurs:

  • Cars are left running inside a closed space. Carbon monoxide can still affect you even if you are running your car inside a garage with the door open.
  • Appliances can cause carbon monoxide build up if not installed or used correctly.
  • Appliances experience a gas leak or need repairs.

SYMPTOMS

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be hard to self-diagnose because most of the symptoms are common. The beginning stages of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, dizziness, and nausea.

However, carbon monoxide begins to build in your blood, causing the previous symptoms to become much worse. On top of that, you may start to experience confusion, drowsiness, fast breathing, an elevated heart rate, chest pain, vision problems, or even seizures.

>To try and determine whether you have carbon monoxide poisoning, you need to contact a doctor if you notice any of the following:

  • Shortness of breath, nausea, or headaches when you are inside
  • Symptoms seem to alleviate once you’ve left and become worse when you return
  • Other people around you experience similar symptoms inside the building

WHAT TO DO

Visit the doctor immediately

If you suspect you or someone you know may have carbon monoxide poisoning, you need to contact a medical professional immediately. Contacting a doctor is especially important if you’re unsure of how long gas has been leaking into your home.

Install a Carbon Monoxide detector in your home

Carbon monoxide detectors are an excellent way to protect yourself from future harm. If the detector goes off, you need to evacuate your home immediately. You should also have your heating system inspected annually and make sure you have a proper venting system.

Leave a Reply