Air conditioning is crucial to surviving the scorching Texas summers, and a well-functioning AC system is essential for your comfort and energy savings. The air filter is one of the most critical factors in ensuring your AC system’s efficiency. Lowery Plumbing, Heating, and Air, your trusted HVAC and plumbing company, is here to help you recognize the signs that it’s time to change your air filter.
Why Air Filters Are Important
Air filters play a critical role in your AC system by trapping dust, pollen, pet dander, and other particles, preventing them from circulating in your home. They also protect your HVAC system by preventing these contaminants from accumulating on crucial components, which can lead to decreased efficiency and costly repairs. Changing your air filter regularly will help you:
- Maintain healthy indoor air quality.
- Maximize energy efficiency.
- Extend the life of your HVAC system.
Signs Your AC Needs an Air Filter Change
- Increased Energy Bills: If you notice a sudden spike in your energy bills without a corresponding increase in use, it could be a sign that your air filter is dirty and obstructing airflow. This forces your AC to work harder, consuming more energy.
- Reduced Airflow: A clogged air filter can restrict airflow through your AC system, making it feel like there’s less air coming out of the vents. If you’re not getting the cooling power you’re used to, it might be time to check the filter.
- Dust Accumulation: If you dust more frequently or notice a thin layer of dust on surfaces soon after cleaning, it could be a sign that your air filter is no longer effectively trapping particles.
- Allergy Symptoms: If you or your family members are experiencing increased allergy symptoms, such as sneezing, itching, or watery eyes, it might be due to a dirty air filter releasing allergens into your home.
- Visual Inspection: A simple visual check can help determine whether your air filter needs replacing. If it appears grey or clogged with debris, it’s time for a new one.
How Often to Change Your Air Filter
The frequency at which you should change your air filter depends on several factors, including the type of filter you use, the size of your home, and whether you have pets or allergies. As a general guideline:
- Basic fiberglass filters: Every 30 days
- Pleated air filters: Every 60-90 days
- High-efficiency filters: Every 6-12 months
However, if you have pets or allergies or live in a particularly dusty environment, you may need to change your filter more frequently.
A clean air filter is vital for maintaining a comfortable and healthy living environment while running your AC efficiently. Knowing the signs of a dirty air filter and following the recommended replacement schedule can save you money on energy bills and prevent costly repairs.
Call the best HVAC team in town!
When it’s time to replace your air filter, count on Lowery Plumbing, Heating, and Air. Our team of professionals is here to help you with all your HVAC maintenance needs to ensure your home stays cool and comfortable. Contact us today to schedule a service appointment or learn more about our comprehensive range of services.